The Congregation of the Brothers of St. Patrick or the Patrician Brothers began in the small town of Tullow, Ireland in 1808. The Congregation was founded by Rt. Rev. Dr. Daniel Delany, under the patronage of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.
In 1846, the Brothers sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to Baltimore, USA and laid the foundation for their first mission abroad. In 1875, the first foundation of the Patrician Brothers was laid in Chennai, India. In 1961, Brothers were drawn to Kenya. In 1883, another group of Patricians arrived in Maitland, New South Wales, Australia. After establishing themselves, the Brothers moved to Papua New Guinea, an island that needed the Brothers’ assistance. In 2007, the Indian Province took up a mission in Ghana, Africa. In 2008, the Brothers completed 200 years of their existence as harbingers of education and have touched the lives of many. Today, the Patrician Brothers run schools, colleges, boarding houses, technical institutions, non-formal education centres and other education related institutions in Ireland, United States of America, India, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Kenya and Ghana.
The congregation has its headquarters known as Generalate in Tullow, Ireland and in India it has its Provincialate / Head Quarter in New Delhi.